Friday, July 27, 2007

Black Walnut Dyeing - the Result





I was pretty happy with how the yarn turned out. The color is a lovely chocolatey brown with reddish undertones. There is also a slight variation through it, with some areas more intense than others, which I was hoping for. It took forever for the dye to rinse out. After I had rinsed it, I saw some other suggestions, such as rinsing it in a baking soda solution. I'm not sure if that is to rinse it out better or make the color different somehow.

I didn't love the smell that wafted through my kitchen as I was simmering the dye but I was so pleased with the result that I would definitely use it again, especially since black walnuts are so readily available to me and economical. I also read that you can use the leaves to get an olive green color. I would love to try that! Here is a link for various recipes using black walnut dye - I found it very helpful.

No comments: