Monday, July 16, 2007

Bikini from Hell


I watched the episode on Knitty Gritty recently that showed a very cute bikini made out of 3 colors of Cascade Fixation. I thought it would be fun to knit a bikini, and with the elastic content of the yarn, it might actually be functional. So, I ordered the yarn in the colors shown (Magenta, Chartreuse and Turquoise) and started knitting my gauge swatches.

Now the pattern calls for a size 5 needle, but I am a notoriously loose knitter, so I started with a 4 and kept downsizing, because each time the swatch was just too wide. I finally got gauge with a size 1! Unbelievable! So, I plunged in and knitted up the first bikini triangle. Well, I guess I should've paid closer attention to how it was turning out, but given that I have never used this yarn before I thought, well, it's got elastic, it will stretch! O.k., with the first triangle finished it looked like it would fit a preteenager! It would've been obscene on me and I am not that busty! Urgh!

So, I started over and I was a bit p.o.ed because I had already cut the yarn. The pattern says that if you plan to make both top and bottom in the larger sizes that you might need a second skein of the main color. So, now I am already short on the Magenta, since I would prefer not to use a cut piece if I don't have to.

So, the big question was, what size do I use now? I started with the size 4 (ridiculous but I wanted to see how it looked) and after several rows I ripped it out because it just looked too loose. I took up the size 3's and knit up the 1st triangle again. Amazingly, the gauge was not that far off (just a smidge too big) so I thought it was going to work out with the 3's. I put a little drawstring through the bottom and tried it. Too small! Now, I am generally a size B cup (which is what I made) and it is just way too narrow and short. So, what is the deal with this pattern?

I am going to try this ONE more time, and will knit the size C cup with the 3's. Here's a sketch of what it is supposed to look like.



If it still doesn't work out, I'm giving up!

No comments: