Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Black Walnut Dyeing Continued




I let the murky black walnuts sit in their water for at least 3 days, some were even longer. I put them in a big pot and added water to fill it up. I simmered the black walnut goo for about an hour. Then I strained it off, to remove the pieces of black walnut. While the walnuts were simmering, I wound up my yarn (Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool - 12 oz) into 3 - 4 oz skeins and wet it in the sink with some synthrapol, rinsed it and squeezed it out gently.

I then put the yarn in the pot with the black walnut dye liquid and simmered it for about an hour. Now I will let it sit and cool off until tomorrow morning.



Right now it is a luscious chocolatey brown, just the way I'd hoped it would turn out! I hope it looks the same after I rinse it out!

No comments: