Thursday, November 29, 2007

Birthday Goodies


My mom spoiled me rotten for my birthday (my dad too, but he was unaware!). I went to one of my favorite yarn stores, Colorful Yarns, when we were visiting my parents in Colorado, and picked out the new Cat Bordhi book plus 3 different types of sock yarn. Before I knew what was happening, my mom had paid for the entire thing, before I could even get my wallet out! She is a schemer!

Here's a better photo of the yarns:



The first one is Dream in Color - Smooshy in the Strange Harvest colorway. I had seen this yarn knitted up recently and thought it was beautiful. Plus it's an extremely generous 450 yards, so it will be great for a pattern with lots of cables or lace, or both!


Here's a closer shot of all the lovely greeny-rusty tones:










Red Rocks Fiber Works created my next selection. The owner, Mary-Kay Tilden, is a local yarn dyer out of Morrison, Colorado. I really fell in love with the combination of fall colors in this selection.




The colorway is called Pueblo and each skein is 185 yards of hand-dyed 100% superwash merino. Mary-Kay doesn't have a website ready yet, but here is her blog. Her colors are amazing and the quality of the yarn is lovely.



The last one was rather unusual as it has different colors plied together, like a hand-spun. It is called multicolor ply sock yarn from Rio de la Plata. The colorway I bought is called evergreen - yellow corn - poinsetta and is incredibly soft. It's 100% superwash merino. It will be interesting to see how it knits up.

After I purchased these yarns it occurred to me that they all have fairly similar fall colorways (although the Rio de la Plata really has pinks too) but I guess that's where I am right now in choosing my latest sock yarns!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Happy Birthday! What perfect presents, I didn't know Manos made sock yarn - I can't decide which yarn is my favorite, all of the are beautiful!

CHANNAH said...

Happy happy birthday and many more!

~RaenWa~ said...

Happy Belated birthday you have great taste in colors of yarn I hope you had a good birthday

Teslagrl said...

Gorgeous yarn! What a great gift. Happy belated birthday!

Heidi

Anonymous said...

Hey, happy birthday! Thanks for showing off my yarn. Very cool to see that on here.... Have a GREAT Birthday!