Friday, June 22, 2007

Dollar Store Treasure




I was killing time the other day, when I took my teenaged daughter shopping, and found some amazing deals at the dollar store. I didn't expect to see 100% wool yarn there but came across a multitude of Moda Dea Cartwheel yarn, mixed in with the acrylics that made up most of what they had. Twenty minutes later, after digging through several bins, I managed to find enough of 3 colors to make several things (hats, socks, scarves, purses?) and enough of another color (hazey, a mix of white, beige, grey and blue) to make a sweater! I couldn't pass it up at a dollar a skein!

I've been wanting to make a jacket type sweater for a long time now, and so maybe the hazey yarn will work out. I have in mind an old Knitty pattern I found the other day. It's called Bpt from the Fall 2003 issue. The hoody sweater zips up the front and has these really cool cables that go up both sides of the zipper and also up the sides of the sweater and arms. I just don't know if the yarn will be good for it as it's a thick and thin yarn, so it might look weird or camouflage the cables. Does anybody have any feedback on this pattern or thoughts on using the Cartwheel yarn?

The other pattern I thought of using was the Point Five Raglan Jacket by Liz Tekus (from the Knitter's Stash book). I'd have to alter the pattern somewhat to knit a smaller size (by eliminating some of the increases in the raglan part) but it might be a better match for the Cartwheel yarn than the Bpt. Has anyone had success with this pattern, especially in adapting it to make a smaller jacket?

No comments: