Friday, March 9, 2007

Dyeing With Kool-Aid - Continued






The second skein of yarn I dyed using the method found in the Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook for dip-dyeing with Kool-Aid for superwash wool. The book warned of mixed results if you don't use superwash wool, and lo and behold, my results weren't quite what I wanted. The colors were a bit too muted for me, with the orange looking more like mustard color and the grape coming out a bit liver-colored. Still, when I knitted up the yarn it worked out o.k., the colors just weren't as bright as I'd wanted.

First you dunk the skein in a solution of Kool-Aid that is a mixture of lemonade and lemon lime, with vinegar and water added similar to what I did with my first skein. You keep the yarn in the solution until it has absorbed all of the color. Then you overdye parts of the yarn in a lemon-lime solution. You repeat the process by dyeing a section of the skein in orange, strawberry and grape, leaving part of the skein the greenish color. See the book for the exact measurements. Once you are done, you heat-set it. Once again, I put the skein in my dyepot, filled with steaming water, and steamed it on low for about 30 minutes. Unfortunately, the yarn started to felt a bit, but I was able to pull it apart without any problems, it just made some of the strands a little nubby. When the skein was cool I rinsed it out and let it dry.

Since I was a bit disappointed with how the colors turned out, I decided to try it with some superwash wool and I was much happier with the results. More on that coming in my next post!

No comments: